Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Disease...

Meet the nasty little disease I have been dealing with for a little over two weeks now...

A mild version of what my back looked like the whole time


This is what happens when I brush my hair my scalp gets all swollen...I couldn't get this to take very well but you can see some of the bumps and my hair line is really red.


This is what happened after I shaved. Its when I decided it wasn't just hives.


This is just another random attack on my leg.

All of these were pictures of the pretty mild version of what was going on. I was always in too much pain when the really bad rashes hit to remember to take a picture. I wish I had thought to take a picture of my leg when I was at the doctors... It really freaked her out. It pretty much looked like one giant welt on my whole leg. I wasn't worried because I had already seen it happen to my arm, neck, stomach, and back. It always went away but I bet some people that saw it probably thought I had leprosy.

I seriously thought I was just having an allergic reaction to something cuz I have very sensitive skin. But... I was wrong. Its called scabies. A nasty little thing that is supposedly very common at BYU even though I have never heard of it. I guess you can get it by washing your clothing in the same washer after someone who had it washed their clothing on too low of a temperature. I share a washer with 18 girls so its a possibility. They gave me a cream that I had to put on my whole body and leave it there for 10 hours. So I no longer have the scabies but it can take over a week for the redness, itchiness and swelling to go away.

Oh did I mention that scabies is the only itchy skin diseases that causes so much itchy pain that it can keep you awake at night and wake you up from a dead sleep??? Yup... fun stuff. My doctor said she was surprised that it took me so long to come in. I guess I'm tough... haha.

ps. If I get an all out attack again I will try to take pictures to show you the disease in all it glory!

2 comments:

AZ Mikesells said...

I thought I was going to die having hives for a day. Don't know how you survived 2 weeks. Actually, I was 9 months prego with you when I had hives. You may have had them with me...

_ said...

I hope you get well soon Kenna!! I miss you :(